Chicken Pot Pie is arguably unrivaled as one of the most supreme American comfort foods. And this recipe checks all of the boxes to a perfect pot pie!
Its flavors meld together so perfectly with the chicken and homemade sauce.
Then I pair it with a homemade buttery pie crust and you won’t be able to stop eating until every last bite is devoured.
I used to make chicken pot pie with store bought crust, condensed soup and canned chicken.
Now I don’t want to knock convenience foods too much, but once I dedicated a little more time to making this meal completely from scratch, the end result was well worth my extra preparation time.
I love cooking a whole chicken every other week for dinner. After that meal I love to utilize the chicken leftovers into another delicious dinner.
Insert The Best Chicken Pot Pie! It is the coziest way to use the leftover cooked chicken.
The hardest part about this recipe is the waiting at the end.
I highly recommend waiting and resting your pie 10-15 minutes to let the inside set up.
This keeps the pie slices from oozing out everywhere when you cut into it. It’s worth the extra wait, I promise!
Now that I have talked a big game on the best chicken pot pie, let’s get into what makes it so good!
Pin for Later:
Ingredients for the best chicken pot pie
- Pie Crust
- Cooked Chicken
- Frozen mixed Veggies
- Stock or Bone Broth
- Raw or Heavy Cream
- Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme
- Unrefined Salt and Pepper
How to Make the Best Chicken Pot Pie
- Pre-make your pie crust. Rolling the bottom dough layer over your 9 inch pie dish.
- Melt the Butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat. Add in and sauté the onion and celery until tender. Add garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant. Stir in the flour to absorb any leftover liquid/butter.
- Slowly add broth in, mixing as you go. Then add the heavy cream and herbs in. Bring to a simmer stirring constantly. It will seem like a lot of liquid at first but it boils down and thickens as it heats through. Add salt and pepper to taste through this process.
- Add in cooked, shredded chicken and frozen veggies and mix all together.
- Add the mixture to your prepared 9 inch pie dish. And top everything with your top pie crust. Pinch top and bottom dough seems together and score pie in the center with an X.
- Egg Wash: Crack egg into a small bowl with 1 tsp water. Mix until combined and brush egg wash over the top of your pie.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- This last step is important! Cool 10-15 minutes to allow the inside to set and cool a bit so you don’t burn your tongue and you get to taste and enjoy all that delicious flavor.
TRY THIS INSTEAD! Chicken Pot Pie made with biscuits!
Maybe you don’t want to make a pie crust but are still craving chicken pot pie.
Well here is a great alternative for you. Make the pot pie filling and add my Simple Homemade Biscuits to the top of the filling.
Follow the filling recipe exactly for the chicken pot pie, then make my Simple Homemade Biscuits that take only 10 minutes to make.
Cut out the biscuits and add the biscuit rounds to the top of the filling mixture. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes until biscuits are golden brown and fluffy.
Try the upside down pot pie and biscuit way. Make the Simple Homemade Biscuits and add one or two to your dinner plate.
Then pour over the biscuits the pot pie filling and enjoy this delicious dish the messy way.
I could eat biscuits everyday of my life, so I will often go this route when I make my chicken pot pie recipe.
Can I add beef instead?
Absolutely! When I have leftover chuck or rump roast, my go with leftovers is to make a beef pot pie. Equally delicious!
Let’s make The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- Premade Pie Crust
- 2-3 Cups Cooked and Shredded Chicken Breasts.
- 1 (10 oz) bag Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1 1/2 cup Stock or Bone Broth
- 1 Cup Raw or Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 3-4 minced Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp dried Parsley
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp Salt
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Egg + 1 tsp water (egg wash top)
- Pre-make your pie crust. Rolling the bottom dough layer over a 9 inch pie dish.
- Melt Butter in large skillet over low/medium heat. Add in and sauté the onion and celery until tender. Add garlic and sauté another minute until fragrant. Stir in the flour to absorb any leftover liquid/butter.
- Slowly add broth in, mixing as you go. Then add heavy cream, parsley, thyme, rosemary and salt. Bring to a simmer continuously stirring. *It will seem like a lot of liquid at first but it boils down and thickens as it heats. Add additional salt and pepper to taste through this process. Boil until the sauce is thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in cooked, shredded chicken and frozen veggies and mix all together. Remove from heat.
- Add the mixture to your prepared pie dish. Add top layer of pie dough over mixture. Pinch top and bottom dough seems together and score pie in the center with an X.
- Egg Wash: Crack egg into a small bowl with 1 tsp water. Mix until combined and brush egg wash over the top of your pie dough.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool 10-15 minutes to allow the inside to set then cut in and ENJOY!
This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you!