This Taco Soup with Roasted Chicken and Butternut Squash will be on your list of fall favorite recipes. The chicken is seasoned and roasted with the butternut squash then simmered on the stove for decadent bold flavor. This recipe is so easy, cozy and sure to be a hit for the whole family.
My Mom found a recipe for Butternut Squash soup in the Sunday newspaper many years ago. She had never cooked a squash before, but it sounded good so she gave it a go. As she prepared it she thought it was missing something. So she added some beans and corn and gave it a Mexican twist. It was delicious!
Fast forward a few years. I took that same recipe and ran! It starts out with roasting the butternut squash and chicken, which really elevates the flavor of this soup. Then you add some beans, corn, tomatoes and spices and you have yourself one hearty bowl of soup!
Ingredients to make Taco Soup with Roasted Chicken and Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash
- Chicken Breasts
- Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Sweet or Yellow Onion
- Green Bell Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken Stock or Bone Broth
- Black Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Chili Powder
How to make Taco Soup with Roasted Chicken and Butternut Squash
First peel, seed and dice the butternut squash. Add to a cookie sheet in a single layer. Drizzle avocado oil over and season with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven.
Second chop the chicken breasts. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Roast in oven with the butternut squash until tender.
While the squash and chicken are roasting dice and onion and bell pepper. Add to a large Dutch oven with melted butter. Cook onion and pepper until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic. Cook one more minute.
Add chicken stock or bone broth. Add in rinsed beans and drained corn to the broth. Pour in a can of tomatoes.
Let’s spice things up and add some cumin, chili powder, oregano and more salt to taste.
Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Flavors will meld together and your home will smell heavenly.
Garnish with cilantro and a scoop of sour cream to take it over the top!
That’s it. Simple, delicious and nutritious!
Additional Add In’s and Toppings
I’m a big fan of the “extras” and adding toppings to this soup is my jam. Some of our favorites are…
- Sour Cream
- Creme Fraiche
- Diced Avocado
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Green Onions
- Squeeze of lime
- For heat add in your favorite hot sauce. We love Cholula!
This soup makes a lot! If you follow me on Instagram you know I love to make a meal and get two or more nights from it. You can cook once and eat twice. Or cook once and eat several times or even all week. It’s a great motto to cook by if you haven’t already adapted this motto for your own kitchen.
I love to make this soup and eat it again the following night, or add it in a thermos for our lunches the next day. The flavors come out even more on day two.
Serve the second night with a fresh loaf of Sourdough Bread or Sourdough Focaccia. It’s the perfect vehicle for your soup and I think it’s safe to assume that everyone loves fresh bread with cozy bowl of soup!
Pin for Later:
Let’s make Taco Soup with Roasted Chicken and Butternut Squash!
- 1 medium Butternut Squash
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 cup Avocado Oil (divided)
- 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Simmer on Stove
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 diced Onion (sweet or yellow)
- 1 diced Green Bell Pepper
- 5 minced Garlic Cloves
- 2 quarts (8 cups) Chicken Stock or Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can Pinto Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can Corn, drained (or 1 1/2 cup frozen corn)
- 1 (28oz) can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- Cilantro (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel, seed and dice butternut squash into 1/2 inch squares. Drizzle 2 Tbsp avocado oil over squash and season with salt and pepper. Dump in a single layer onto a greased cookie sheet and set a timer for 15 minutes.
- While squash is getting started, dice chicken breasts into 1/2 inch squares. Drizzle 2 Tbsp avocado oil, paprika and salt and pepper over chicken. Mix and layer on another cookie sheet. After squash has cooked for 15 minutes mix squash around to cook evenly. Then add chicken pan to oven and cook both chicken and squash an additional 25 minutes. Until squash and chicken are tender.
- Meanwhile at medium heat add 1/4 cup butter to a large stock pot or Dutch Oven. Dice onion and bell pepper. Add to melted butter and cook until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Add in minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Pour in 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken stock or bone broth. Add drained beans and corn. Add entire can of tomatoes including juice. Add in roasted chicken and butternut squash and mix everything together.
- Add cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt (to taste). Bring everything to a gentle boil. Cover and gently boil for 15 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Garnish with Cilantro. Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips, grated cheese etc (see blog post for more options) Or add a few drops of hot sauce to spice it up some. Enjoy!