These quick and easy pickled red onions will make any dish go from good to gourmet! They’re made with just 5 ingredients and you can enjoy them as a fancy garnish for all meals of the day. They’re the perfect addition to eggs in the morning, sandwiches for lunch or burgers for dinner.
You’re going to love having these in your fridge for any given meal.
I have grown to love and appreciate onions. Growing up my Mom didn’t cook with onions very much and if she did, it was less than half of what the recipe called for because she was sensitive to them.
As I got older and experimented more in the kitchen I’m embarrassed to admit that I was shocked to find out how onions increase and maximize the flavor of everything they’re a part of.
I now shop for the biggest onions just so we can have that much more onion added to each and every recipe 😉 The more the better!
And if you’re wondering, my Mom loves all my dishes, including the onion heavy ones–unless they’re on a pizza 😉
Pickling was a whole new experience for me though. And when I discovered a pickled red onion, my morning eggs were forever changed! 🙂
A fried egg on sourdough toast with shredded cheese and pickled onions will forever be my favorite breakfast!
These quick and easy pickled red onions are naturally sweetened and preserved in vinegar so they will last for many months in your fridge.
They’re the perfect addition to many dishes and you can fool anyone that you made them a fancy meal just by adding these pickled onions. Seriously, try it 😉
Ingredients to make Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions
- Large Red Onion-thinly sliced
- Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar
- Maple Syrup or Honey or Sugar
- Unrefined Salt
- Pinch of whole black peppercorns (optional)
How to Make Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions
In a small sauce pan over medium heat combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer.
Once you see bubbles, turn off heat and pour directly over onions in the jar.
Add optional pinch of black peppers. And press onions down under brine.
Cool mixture completely on the counter for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate. Good for 4 months in the fridge.
That’s it. These are so simple to make and they enhance any dish to make it gourmet. You’re going to love having these on hand! And when making your next batch you may even consider doubling because they’re so good 😉
Pin for Later:
Let’s make Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions
- 1 large Red Onion
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar (Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar can be used too)
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup, honey or sugar
- 1 tsp Unrefined Salt
- Pinch of Black Peppers (optional)
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, thinly slice onions into fine, thin strips. (The skinnier the better) Place onions into a 24oz size mason jar.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Once you see bubbles, turn off heat and pour directly over onions in the jar.
- Add optional pinch of black peppers. And press onions down under brine.
- Cool mixture completely on the counter for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate. Good for 4 months in the fridge.
Good for at least 4 months in the fridge.