Step aside Campbells, this Tomato Basil Soup is rich in flavor, creamy in texture and perfect for eating year round! Pair it with a simple grilled cheese sandwich and you have one of the best, easy and kid friendly dinners.
Do you prefer tomato or chicken noodle soup when you’re not feeling well? I’m a tomato soup girl, hands down! And as a kid I always ate the infamous Campbells Tomato Soup.
I recently peeked on the back of a can of tomato soup at the store. It was filled with thickening agents, refined salts and natural flavors (aka artificial flavors) which was enough for me to set that can down and never pick one back up again. Not after tasting the good homemade version! This tomato soup is better than any canned tomato soup, guaranteed.
I have made this Tomato Basil Soup for a few wedding and baby showers and every time I get asked by several people for the recipe. It’s so good and so simple, and I’m excited to share it with you too.
Ingredients for Tomato Basil Soup
- Basil (fresh or dried)
- Flour (I like to use Sprouted Flour)
- Sugar (I love coconut sugar)
- Unrefined Salt
- Chicken Bone Broth or Stock (I’ve also used beef broth and love the rich flavor it adds)
- Cream (Raw or Organic Heavy Cream)
How to Make Tomato Basil Soup
In a large stock pot over medium heat melt the butter. Add diced onion and cook until translucent. Next add minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add flour to onions and garlic, mix so flour absorbs the butter. Add tomatoes on top of everything and give it all a good mix.
Add chicken broth, sugar, basil, salt, pepper. Mix all together. Using an immersion blender, blend everything into a puree.
Don’t have an immersion blender? It’s okay. Just add your soup to a blender and blend it all together. *Do this before soup gets hot.*
Continue to cook soup for 15 minutes. The soup will reduce some. Once the soups flavor has melded all together, add cream. Mix and continue to cook another 10 minutes.
Give the soup a taste to see if you need to add a little more salt. Enjoy and watch your littles eat this soup right up!
Pair these Sourdough recipes with the Tomato Basil Soup
Pin for Later:
Let’s Make Some delicious Tomato Basil Soup
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 small yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar (I love coconut sugar)
- 2 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1-2 tsp Unrefined Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth or bone broth (beef broth tastes great too)
- 2 (28 oz) cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy or raw cream
- In a large stock pot over medium heat melt the butter. Add diced onion and cook until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add flour to onions and garlic, mix so flour absorbs the butter about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (including liquid) on top of everything and give it all a good mix.
- Add chicken broth, sugar, basil, salt, pepper. Mix all together.
- Using an immersion blender, blend everything into a puree. (**Add everything to a blender or food processor if you don't have an immersion blender**)
- Bring soup to a boil and continue to cook soup for 15 minutes, uncovered. The soup will reduce some. Once the soups flavor has melded all together, add the cream. Mix and continue to cook another 10 minutes. Adjust flavors and add more salt if necessary (if using homemade stock you may need to add more salt)