Sloppy Joes may be the definition of comfort food and these Quick and Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes will not disappoint. They are perfect to make in a pinch and will soon be one of your family’s favorite recipes. The sauce is made from scratch. The taste is both sweet and savory. Pair with Sourdough Buns or as an open face sandwich with coleslaw on the side.
Where I’m from this dinner has two names: Sloppy Joes and a BBQ sandwich. It’s probably more common to call this delicious dinner a sloppy joe but I have one more name to add to the list: Big Juicy Messy Burger.
As kids, my sister and I were a tad obsessed with anything Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson. One of our favorite movies was It Takes Two.
There is a scene in the movie where one girl is in the mess hall at summer camp and tries a Sloppy Joe for the first time.
She starts hesitantly with a small nibble but quickly realizes how delicious it is and inhales the rest of her sandwich.
With her face covered in sloppy joes she coins the term “Big Juicy Messy Burger” and makes the sandwich look both disgusting and delicious all at the same time.
To this day my sister and I quote this line and think of this scene whenever we eat a sloppy joes.
Ingredients for Quick and Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Ground Beef
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Coconut Sugar (or Brown Sugar)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Unrefined Salt
How to make Quick and Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes
Just like the title, this meal is quick and easy. First brown the ground beef in large Skillet over medium heat adding in garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Next turn heat to low or simmer and add the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar and apple cider vinegar. Mix together and allow the meat and flavors to meld together for about 10 minutes or until the mixture has reduced. Stir often so the meat doesn’t burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Serve on Sourdough Buns with a side of 5 Ingredient Healthy Coleslaw.
- I always have a fresh loaf of Simple No Knead Sourdough Bread made, so making open face sandwiches with this Sloppy Joes recipe makes for one quick tasty meal. Simply toast a few slices of bread and spread a layer of Homemade Mayonnaise overtop. Add a few leaves of spinach and top with Sloppy Joe mixture. Add a slice of cheddar cheese on top and warm in 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Serve with Homemade Sauerkraut.
- Pizza Burger style. Add Sloppy Joe mixture on top of toasted Soft Sourdough English Muffins. Add a sprinkle of cheese and broil in the oven. Serve with raw veggies and Homemade Ranch Dressing.
- Add any leftover Sloppy Joe mixture to Mac and Cheese to beef up your pasta and make it a little more filling.
- Put Sloppy Joe mixture on a tortilla with cheese. Cook it on a Skillet to make Sloppy quesadillas.
- Freeze any extras for later when you need another quick meal.
Pin for Later:
Let’s make some Big Juicy Messy Burgers!
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Unrefined Salt
- In large skillet brown ground beef over medium heat. Add garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
- Reduce heat to low or simmer. Add ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar (or brown sugar), and apple cider vinegar. Mix all together and allow meat and flavors to meld together over low heat.
- Cook about 10 minutes. Mixture will bubble and reduce. Stir often so meat doesn't stick and burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Serve Warm, Enjoy!
Leftovers freeze well up to 2 months.