Got leftovers? Got extra sourdough starter? I’ve got the simplest comfort food recipe for you! One Pot Cornbread Sourdough Skillet can be made using all your leftovers or your favorite skillet recipe with a sourdough cornbread top. It’s versatile making this meal so much fun because it’s different every time.
My favorite part about this meal, aside from the delicious cornbread topping, is that it can be made any way you like! I switch this meal up every time I make it.
When I have a fridge full of leftovers, I’ll give them a little face lift and throw everything together into a skillet. Season it up with herbs or spices, add a layer of cheese and top with the sourdough. Then bake to perfection!
I pull this meal out when I’m at a creative loss and need to eat up everything left in the fridge. I throw veggies, meat, broth, spices all together and have fun with it. And my kids devour it every time!
You really get to be creative with this meal. I could give you several skillet meals you could make but that’s not my intentions here. However, I will give you a basic recipe that’s simple to follow.
I want to encourage you to be creative in the kitchen. After all my tagline is simple is gourmet. Remember to keep things simple because that is gourmet!
Need a Sourdough Starter?
Before we get started you will need a sourdough starter. If you do not have one yet, here is a Day by Day Guide to help you make your own Sourdough Starter. If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of sourdough, check out my “Why Sourdough?“
Ingredients to make One Pot Cornbread Sourdough Skillet
- Sourdough Starter
- Cornmeal (I prefer Bob’s Red Mill, organic)
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Unrefined Salt
Basic Guideline Recipe for skillet meal before adding the Sourdough Top
Like I mentioned above, I do not have an exact meal for you. However I know what it’s like to follow a recipe to a T and panic when someone says to just “wing it”. (That used to be me ;))
So I will give you a brief guideline to stretch those of you from your comfort zone who still prefer to follow a recipe. You can follow this below to help create the premise of your meal.
- 3 cups Meat
- 3 cups Veggies
- 1 cup liquid (Bone broth, stock, tomato sauce, water, milk etc.)
- A few teaspoons of seasoning. Either herbs or spices.
- Salt and Pepper–the rockstar to every dish!
- Optional: 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder for thickening if needed or desired.
- Layer of cheese overtop skillet bake.
- Add Sourdough Top just before adding to the oven.
- Bake. Enjoy 🙂
How to make One Pot Cornbread Sourdough Skillet
Mix together starter, cornmeal, eggs, melted butter, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined. The mixture will grow and become foamy as the leavening agents mix with the sourdough starter. It’s a fun experiment–ask your kids for help mixing.
Pour overtop the prepared dish.
Bake. Enjoy! So simple, so good!
Do I need to have a skillet to make this meal?
No. You do not need to have a skillet. You could use a 9×13 dish and follow the recipe just the same. I love to use a skillet because then it’s all in one pot. Easy peasy. But if you don’t own one, go ahead and use a baking dish instead.
Pin for Later:
Let’s make One Pot Cornbread Sourdough Skillet
- 1 Cup Sourdough Starter
- 1/4 cup Cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- Mix together sourdough starter, cornmeal, and melted butter. Add eggs making sure the melted butter is slightly cooled so you don't bake the eggs. Add baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix until well combined. The mixture will grow and become foamy as the leavening agents reacts with the sourdough starter. Allow the mixture to rest and grow for a minute before adding to the top of your skillet.
- Pour overtop your prepared skillet dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and cracked looking.
See blog post for a simple basic skillet recipe to follow before adding the sourdough topping.